Friday, November 25, 2011

Operation Jellyman Kelly: The results are in...

DISCLAIMER: Any blog posts titled "Operation Jellyman Kelly" will no doubt gross you out. These posts will describe our current treatments for if you have a weak stomach or don't know how you'd have a conversation with me in person after reading this....stop reading now. ; )

This two week wait was so entirely different than with any of the IUI’s.
With IUI’s you’re putting the sperm in the same vicinity as the egg(s) and hoping for a party.

With IVF…you’re starting the party and hoping it lasts.
For two weeks I lived life as if I had a growing miracle in my belly.
I ate healthier.  I rested more.  I thought positive thoughts.
But there was an underlying strain of fear and disappointment that kept creeping in….kept making me think I was just “pretending” all of this.  That this hadn’t worked.
The morning of my first blood test finally arrived and I was thrilled and terrified.
I’d never made it to a test date with any of the IUI’s….so this was an accomplishment.
But I was terrified of the results.
I had to go to work that day and the nurse told me to expect a phone call by noon at the office.
I tried my hardest to stay focused on work.
At 11:45 some of my co-workers invited me to go to lunch with them.  I didn’t want to get this call while I was out with others in the event of bad news and my breaking down.  But I really didn’t want to stay in the office and freak out until the call came either.  
I called the Dr.’s office to see if perhaps they had my results early.
To my absolute dismay, the office had already closed for lunch.  I’d have to call back at 2 p.m.
I went to lunch with my co-workers and we talked about my anxiety.
So many things were going through my head.
Were they waiting to call me later in the afternoon because it was bad news?
Did they decide not to call me at work because it was bad news?
We got back to the office and I tried calling again.
Still closed for lunch.
My husband called me minutes later to find out the results.
“I don’t know, they haven’t called.”
“Really?  It’s almost 2 o’clock.”
Just then, call waiting.
It was the Dr.’s office.
“I gotta go!”
I hung up on my husband, answered the call and bolted for the nearest open conference room.
“Hi, it’s Kim.”
She didn’t sound happy.
My heart sank.
“Are you at work?”
My heart sank further.
“Ok, well we got the results…”
Not breathing………….
“It’s good news.”
“Test results were positive.”
“No way!” I shout, breathing again.
“Yes!  Congratulations!  So you’ll need to take another test in a few days…”
I didn’t hear the rest.
I felt a wave of emotions crashing over my head and I just held my breath, hoping I didn’t drown.
I hung up and immediately called my husband.
“I’m sorry I hung up on you, it was the Dr.’s office calling on the other line.”
“I figured.”
“It was positive.”
“Are you serious?”
We spoke for a few more minutes, I hung up and stayed in that empty conference room and let myself cry for about a minute.  Then I got myself together and went back to work.
When I got home that evening, I took a home pregnancy test….
I wanted to see that word I’d been longing to see for so, so long………

Our test results a few days later also came back positive.

Then we had to wait another two weeks before our very first ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy was viable....

and guess what.....

One of our embryos held on and implanted in the right place.

And there was a heartbeat....

We're officially a GO for PREGO!!!!!!!!!!!


  1. OMG, I just want to hug you.....
    I hate being so far away.

  2. Congratulations!!! What amazing news!! Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!! xx

  3. missed these posts but loved "re-living" these moments" with you!! how surreal. our family is getting bigger!