Sunday, January 23, 2011

Operation Jellyman Kelly: First injection

DISCLAIMER:  Any blog posts titled "Operation Jellyman Kelly" will no doubt gross you out.  These posts will describe our current treatments for infertility...so if you have a weak stomach or don't know how you'd have a conversation with me in person after reading this....stop reading now.  ; )

Last night was the night.

The first FSH injection.

Dr. T and his nurses were adamant when telling us to do the injections at the same time every night (4 nights total) and so my husband and I settled on 6:30 p.m. since we both felt certain we could be home from work at that time during the week.


















I spent all day freaking out over this shot.

A couple of times throughout the day I even opened the fridge to look at the injection pen.

It was ridiculous.

My husband and I started an episode of "Dexter" at about 5:45 p.m. hoping it would get us to 6:30 without me really thinking about what was coming at 6:30.

At 6:27 my husband checked the time.  The episode wasn't over yet, infact it was just reaching a big climactic scene so my husband asked if we wanted to wait until 6:45 or 7 to do the shot.

I couldn't wait any longer.  I couldn't be anxious for another half hour.

"Let's get this over with."

We paused "Dexter" and started prepping.

I grabbed an ice pack and started icing my stomach.

My husband cleaned the injection pen, loaded the needle and flicked the pen a few times as instructed.  I was getting a little light-headed at that point.

He cleaned the injection site on my stomach and moved toward me with the needle.

Instinct took over and I started backing away from him.

"Aren't you going to at least tell me when it's coming??!?!" I was slightly panicked.

I think my husband wanted to do this quickly so I didn't have to think about it any longer...but I needed to know when I would feel that needle going in.

He sighed and started counting to three.

Everything in me wanted to ask if he was going to inject ON three or AFTER three but I left it alone.

He counted to three and slowly stuck the needle into my stomach.

I could feel the needle going through my fat which was really, really wierd.

The whole process felt very slow.

He injected the hormones, counted to 5 and pulled the needle out. 

It hadn't hurt.

I couldn't believe it.

Post-injection did result in some pain in my abdomen (mostly pressure) and I also started getting really fidgety and hyper (much like how I was reacting to the Clomid) but this time it was more immediate.

We watched the rest of the "Dexter" episode and then I used that crazy fidgety/hyper feeling for good and made a big dinner.

My husband admitted that it was kind of terrifying giving me the shot...I'm SOOOO happy he didn't tell me that until after!

Although...he does have to do it 3 more times....

crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment