Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Operation Jellyman Kelly: Post-Surgery

DISCLAIMER:  Any blog posts titled "Operation Jellyman Kelly" will no doubt gross you out.  These posts will describe our current treatments for infertility...so if you have a weak stomach or don't know how you'd have a conversation with me in person after reading this....stop reading now.  ; )

So it turns out you use your abdomen for EVERYTHING.

The reason I felt fine right after surgery was because I was completely drugged up.

The reason the nurses were so adamant about my husband waking me every 4 hours for pain medication was because if it wore off...I was going to be one miserable woman.

I didn't feel sick, I didn't feel much pain but I could feel pressure in my abdomen and below.

When I needed to use the bathroom my husband had to assist me with getting up, getting to the toilet and then with lowering me onto the toilet.  Talk about embarrassing!

The most uncomfortable thing was the shoulder pain.

During the surgery, carbon dioxide gas is injected to inflate the pelvic cavity which allows the Dr. to see everything he needs to see.

At the end of the surgery the gas is removed somehow but remnants of it can stay and press on the nerves that reach your shoulders...which is so weird!

Anyhow, anytime I sat up it felt like I was being stabbed in the shoulder (from behind).  It hurt like hell.  The only way to alleviate the pain was to lay back down.

I did a lot of sleeping and a lot of watching old episodes of the Big Bang Theory over the next few days.

I was extremely lucky to have such a wonderful caretaker (props to my man).

By Wednesday (which also happened to be my birthday) I was feeling good enough for company. 

My dear friends came over and shared leftover chocolate cake with me...which was DELICIOUS.

Unfortunately...that chocolate cake would come back to haunt me.

It turns out....it takes awhile before you're comfortable going...you know..number 2, after surgery.

I know, I know....gross.

But like I said...you use your abdomen for everything.

I couldn't poop.  For days.  It was uncomfortable.

The other thing about recovery that drove me INSANE was the glue.
Dr. T used a special glue on my incisions, but one of the incisions was in my belly button....

imagine squeezing 4 large drops of glue in your belly button and letting it dry....

now imagine having to leave your belly button alone for a week.

didn't happen.

Sometimes I knew I was doing it, other times I didn't, but I was constantly picking at my belly button.  I just wanted to pick the solid chunks of glue out of there!  It was gross!

At one point my husband had had enough and placed a large bandaide over my belly button so that I couldn't get to the glue.


Apart from that...no huge issues post-surgery....

well...there was some gas.  =(

Moving on....

The best part of recovery was knowing that I looked "good" enough inside that the Dr. felt I should have no issues carrying a child.

Peace of mind is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment