Saturday, January 15, 2011

Operation Jellyman Kelly: Surgery Pre-Op

DISCLAIMER:  Any blog posts titled "Operation Jellyman Kelly" will no doubt gross you out.  These posts will describe our current treatments for infertility...so if you have a weak stomach or don't know how you'd have a conversation with me in person after reading this....stop reading now.  ; )

So my Laparoscopy was suddenly around the corner and it was time for my pre-op visits a few days before surgery.

Pre-op wasn’t supposed to be difficult. 

I'd taken the day off of work to go to the two separate appointments.  One for Dr. T and one for the hospital where the surgery would take place.  

I got up early, got myself ready to go, stopped at Starbucks to get my caffeine fix and…

my morning suddenly went downhill.   

My car wouldn’t start.   

There I was…stranded in the Starbucks parking lot with two very important appointments to make that could not be rescheduled. 

Needless to say, I freaked out.  

I called my husband in a panic knowing he couldn't do anything for me from work. 

Calmly....smoothly, he diagnosed the problem over the phone and determined that my battery had died.

"You're going to need to ask someone for a jump."

Simple....right?

No, not when you're freaking out.

All I could think about was how I didn't have time for this.

I could not reschedule these appointments...this was going to ruin everything!

If I didn't make these appointments they were going to have to cancel my surgery and I didn't know if I'd be brave enough to try this again.

Thankfully my husband is familiar with me.  ; )
Before I had to work up the courage to ask a complete stranger to please help me make these appointments and that my future children depended on them....my husband called his brother-in-law to see if he could help.

As luck would have it, Bob (my husband's brother-in-law) didn't have any real estate appointments that morning and rescued me from the Starbucks parking lot.

I made it to my appointments with time to spare.

Dr. T's pre-op visit consisted of a quick check-up and an ultrasound.  Easy peasy.

The hospital's pre-op required some blood work which is typically not a problem...but for some reason, Dr. T requests an awful lot of blood from his patients (clever, since he doesn't have to draw the blood himself) and so I had to sit still with a needle in my arm draining blood from the smallest tube I'd ever seen for what felt like 10 minutes.  I felt a little faint!  LOL!

In the course of being bled out, I also learned I would need to shower with this strange smelling alcohol based body wash before surgery and that I would have to give myself an enema.

Yup.

You read that correctly.

Self-enema.

I had to watch a 10 minute video that explained what would happen during surgery and how I'd feel after surgery and then I called my dear friend Sara for a ride home.

I have to admit....

the thing I'm worried most about is not the surgery itself...but the enema!

LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment