Monday, February 22, 2010

New York behind me

(May 2007)

Ok, so I got back to Richmond, Va a little after midnight and actually got home a little after 1 a.m.

It was a hell of a night and I'll get to that in just a minute, but first I have to make a correction to my previous blogs regarding the Amish.

I must clarify that I made a HUGE mistake in assuming the "Amish looking" people were Amish....they were in fact Hassitic Jews. My bad! So it turns out I said the right thing in the elevator to that one Ami...I mean Hassitic Jewish man. =)

Moving on....

Laguardia airport is much like the city it lives in. It's loud, fast and busy. Because of all the canceled and delayed flights on Weds night, tons of people were crammed into little gate areas too close for comfort.

After a few hours, the air seemed to grow muggy and the little snack-shops were running out of food. I tried to imagine what would happen if we all had to spend the night at the airport. It played out like a game of Survivor in my head.

Passengers making alliances, competitions for that last snack-sized bag of chips, emotional breakdowns of the flight staff manning the customer service desk, drama between the pilot and the flight attendent he just slept with, it all made for great reality t.v. =)

While it was interesting to watch, I was not thrilled to be there.

One of the US Airways staff finally made an announcement at 10:10 p.m. that our plane would land shortly and she would update us as soon as it landed as to how long it would be before our flight could board.

A minute later she got on the speaker system and announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm very sorry to tell you that Flight 3045 to Richmond has just been canceled." My stomach turned and I was about to scream when I heard, "Just kidding! Your plane has just landed and will be deboarding in a few short moments and then we will board you as quickly as possible."

The flight itself was kind of a blur. I was really scared on this flight because I knew the plane hadn't been checked over before we boarded.

Literally, they deboarded one flight and immediately boarded our flight and we left more quickly than I was comfortable with.

Obviously nothing went wrong with the flight and I got home safe and sound.

So now, as I sit typing away on my home computer, New York City is finally behind me.

Rather than reflect on what I learned in the big apple, I shall leave you with this thought....the Hilton New York should really re-think their decision to carry Crabtree & Evelyn products for their guests.

Their shampoo and conditioner stink! I don't even know how to describe the smell, but it's not good!

I've now washed my hair twice since being home and it still smells like Crabtree & Evelyn!

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment