Sunday, July 11, 2010

Obon Festival - 2009

(July 14, 2009)

I miss my family. Big time.

Thankfully, I'll get to see them this holiday season. =) Yay!

In addition to missing my family...I really miss Obon season in Hawaii.

Obon season is all about honoring the loved ones that have passed on before you. The festivals are absolutely charming. You gather, you pray, you dance, you eat, you laugh, you cry, you dance some more and you remember. It is (by far) the best way to celebrate the life your loved ones lived.

I hadn't been to an Obon festival since 2007, so was extremely excited to learn (via Facebook) that the Buddhist temple in Fairfax (about 2 hours from me) would host an Obon festival and taiko performances featuring the taiko group I had the honor of playing with for a workshop a few summers ago!

I invited friends and could barely contain my excitement at the prospect of sharing this part of my culture with them!

We arrived at the temple just before the dancing started...




The aroma was a mix between noodles, sugar and incense.

Our group found a spot to sit and watch the dancing and I immediately felt at home...























By the second song my friend Sara and I had jumped in...

















I can't say enough how happy it made me to have our friends experience this with us.























































































































Dancing, taiko drums, great friends and remembering my Uncle, my Papa and my Gigi......

T'was a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment